Monday, January 25, 2010

Update: 150 Foods

I'm a month into living by the "150 Healthiest Foods on Earth" and I wanted to share with you how it's going.

First off, know that this isn't a diet; instead, it's a way of eating that is pure and uncomplicated. It's vegetables, fruits, whole grains, protein, oils and spices.

I've eliminated a lot of the foods that I had convinced myself were otherwise "healthy." Like crackers, pretzels, low fat chips and protein/energy bars. Ben still has them - and I won't lie and say that I haven't scooped up a handful or two - but my choices are now centered around things that don't come packaged.

I'm off of bread. Completely. And pasta. The starches I do eat are steel cut oats, brown rice, quinoa and potatoes.

I'm using more butter than I have in the past, and more oils, too. I'm drinking 2% organic milk and sweetening it with raw honey or agave (I don't like plain milk) and also adding in cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.

We are using big cartons of plain yogurt. Ben was resistant to this as he loves the sweetened individual cartons. I use agave to sweeten his yogurt and he's slowly coming around.

I've eaten more organic chicken and beef this month. I've made soup several times and discovered that I love white beans and Swiss Chard in an organic vegetable broth, simmered with garlic and onions and sweet potatoes. Especially on a rainy, winter day.

In the afternoons, I drink an elixir of aloe juice (Trader Joe's), lemon juice, water and a splash of pomegranite juice. Aloe is a great anti-inflammatory agent although it tastes terrible on its own!

I'm eating dark chocolate a few times a week. And still drinking a lot of coffee!

So what's changed? I'm feeling more energetic overall and less lethargic in the afternoons. Everything in my closet is fitting better. I feel like my body isn't weighed down. I know I've lost a little weight but I'm not tracking it.

Surprisingly, my grocery bill has gone DOWN. Since I'm only buying packaged food for Ben, the majority of my grocery budget can now be allocated to fresh and whole food.

I truly believe that the information in the book can allow for transformation; I'm seeing it daily in my own choices. It's a powerful way of eating and one that I'd recommend to absolutely anyone.

No comments: