Saturday, November 29, 2008

Recipe: Agave/Flax Cookies

After some kitchen science projects with the agave nectar that ended in one whole batch of muffins down the trash, I put together a recipe for flax cookies that uses some agave nectar. I took the cookies in on Thanksiving morning for my yoga class and everyone liked them. Several even asked for the recipe. So, here it is:

Chocolate Chip, Cranberry & Flax Cookies

2 cups flour (any kind, I used unbleached whole wheat)
1/2 cup flax seed meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup agave syrup
1/2 cup organic sugar (Sugar in the Raw is my favorite)
1 large egg
1 or 2 tablespoons of soy milk (depending on consistency of batter, may need to use a bit more)
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
Handful of white chocolate chips
Handful of cranberries

Stir flour and dry ingredients (except sugar) together. Whisk all wet ingredients with sugar seperately. Fold dry ingredients into wet mixture, then add chocolate chips and cranberries. Dough will be very sticky. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour or as long as overnight.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Shape the cookies into one inch balls. Bake approximately 15 minutes. Cool on cookie sheet for an additional 10 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.

Note: The cookies never change shape or flatten. They come out of the oven looking the same as went they went in. The recipe also says to add walnuts or almonds but I didn't have any.

The recipe made a ton of cookies which I put in the freezer. These aren't kid tested but I'll let you know.

1 comment:

Kari said...

Hey, thanks for this blog! I love it, and it couldn't come at a better time, as I just decided to get healthier.