Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Soy Is On My Mind

I am a complete soy girl. I love my vanilla soy milk, my soy coffee creamer, my soy cheese, my soy bars, my soy protein powder, my soy shake powder and my soy ice cream. And edamame, which is soy in its purest form and with a bit of sea salt, is nothing less than heaven to me.

So it's been a little troubling to read about all the dirty soy facts that are now surfacing. Turns out that the innocent soy bean may not be so angelic and might just be downright bad for you.

Even as I write this, I am troubled by misleading health information that we are fed on a daily basis. At one time, soy was the darling of the nutrition world...pure, high in protein, low in fat, a real gem.

Now I'm not so sure.

Given the fact that I eat buckets of soy, I'm reluctantly facing the facts of soy's less-than-pristine profile.

And I'm going to have to get back to you on the findings since the information on soy's bad rap is PLENTIFUL and deserves a careful look.

In the meantime, I'm cutting down on my soy consumption. I think we're bringing organic cow's milk back in the house and cheese, too. We're adding rice milk back in and stocking up on Lara bars, instead of soy bars. I've just bought an ice cream maker so that we can make our own frozen yogurt (with organic non-fat yogurt and agave syrup). I've pushed the protein powder into the back of the cabinet and just purchased whey powder instead.

I'm making these difficult yet necessary choices for myself and for Ben, not because I am paranoid about what I read, but because the evidence that I have read about soy, thus far, has warranted some big changes in our home.

I'll keep you posted as I learn more about the downfalls of soy.

No comments: