Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Harvest Grains Recipe

I shared a favorite healthy dish with several yogis a couple of weeks ago. I had quite a few requests for the recipe so I thought I'd provide it here.

Trader Joe's has a great dry mix of grains called "Harvest Grains."



It's a blend of couscous, baby garbanzo beans, and orzo. I use the mix as a base but I've also served it as a side dish with Smart Balance butter and a little sea salt. It's delicious and very healthy.

I use the entire package, following the cooking directions. I then add:

Cooked asparagus
2 cans organic garbanzo beans
Feta cheese
Dried apricots
Cashews
Drizzle of olive oil
Cumin, coriander, salt and pepper to taste

There are many, many ways to augment this basic recipe. I've also added tomatoes, broccoli, and/or golden raisins depending on the ingredients I have on hand.

The beauty of this dish is that it can be prepared before an event, chilled, then served. It serves a lot of people and generally is filling enough to be enjoyed as a main dish.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Briana said...

Yummy!! Thank you!! I can't wait to make it .... Hope all is well, we need to catch up!!

Deana said...

Hi Janeen,

I came here for your recipe (LOVE TJ's Harvest Grains!) and I really like your blog. The info on soy is so scary and useful. We eat fish and occassional poultry, so soy is a big protein source for us. Now I know what to look for - thanks!

Deana Lewis (DNC Yoga)