Sunday, December 20, 2009

Wintery Soup

I love soup in the winter! Especially soup that is comprised of local Farmer's Market produce. Here's a recipe that I devised over the holidays. It was a big hit with my girlfriend who came over for dinner and as I told her, it's a super "powerhouse" of antioxidants, all in one bowl!

Kale, Butternut and Bean Soup

Olive Oil

1 onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, chopped

1 large bunch of kale, chopped

½ large butternut squash, chopped into 1-inch cubes

4 cups of broth (vegetable or chicken)

1 cup water

2 cups white wine

2 cans white beans (drained)

Saute onion and garlic in a Dutch oven, using a bit of olive oil, for five minutes. Pour in broth, water and wine. Add any seasonings you like (I used a blend of sage, rosemary and thyme. Bring to boil, then cover and reduce heat for 20 minutes. Add remaining items: beans, kale and squash – uncovered – and cook until squash is softened.


No comments: