Wednesday, November 11, 2009

What We Do On Wednesday

I'm going to let you in on a great secret: Wednesday night yoga at Del Norte Club!

I have been blessed to have had the opportunity to teach the Wednesday evening yoga class at Del Norte Club for the last two, going-on-three, years. When I started at the club, which was my first teaching gig, we had eight, maybe nine, on a good night - ten, people attending class. Now, we've had as many as 24 yogis practicing on Wednesday night!

Just over a year ago, I approached the management at the club requesting permission to take the class up to a higher intensity, with a Level 2 class title. My request was approved and I've had the chance to move the Wednesday night crowd from simple stretches to more complex poses and sun salutations.

More than anything, we have a kula on Wednesday nights. In Sanskrit, kula means "community." Most nights, class starts at least five minutes late because I'm busy hugging my yogi friends and catching up on each other's lives. Two of the women from class, Briana and Nancy, have become dear friends. One woman had me over to her home for a Greek dinner that involved NINE courses, as a thank-you, just for being her teacher. In the summer months, we designate select Wednesday evenings as "yogi parties." We congretate on the lawn and share food and wine and we learn about each other's lives.

The group feels like home to me. They know my son. They know my mom. They eat my cookies. They are wonderful.

One of the best parts about the Wednesday night class is the price: just $10 for drop-ins! With the going rate for a single yoga class in Sacramento hovering at nearly $17 a class, this is a great deal.

Are you looking for a fun group to practice with? Come join us! I always have guest passes in my bag and you're guaranteed to meet warm people who love to laugh while enjoying the spirituality and the reverence of a deep and connected yoga class.

Om shanti!

No comments: