Saturday, March 28, 2009

"Best Oatmeal Cookie Ever" Recipe

My friend, Shelley, a self-proclaimed critic of all things healthy, recently tried this recipe and raved about it. She went on to make another batch (with some chocolate chips thrown in) and was kind enough to send a few along to me. They are, indeed, delicious and worthy of their name: "Best Oatmeal Cookie Ever." In fact, I hid the cookies from my mother and fed B Oreos all week so that I could hoard the stash. Print this one out and file it away. It's a keeper!

Best Oatmeal Cookies Ever

1 mashed banana
1 cup of brown sugar
1/4 of a cup of regular sugar
Slightly less than 1/3 of a cup (about 1/4 of a cup plus 1 teaspoon) of oil
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 1/2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 of a teaspoon of salt
2 cups plus one my-sized handful (about 1/4 of a cup) of oats
3 tablespoons of water plus maybe a few more drops

Directions:Mix the brown sugar, sugar, oil, and water. Add the banana and vanilla. then mix in the already pre-mixed together mixture of flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in the oats. If it is too thin, let stand a bit so the oats can absorb the excess liquid. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 13 minutes. To check if they are done, flip one over and it should be browned. Rip off a chunk to see it it is still raw. I usually let them sit a bit before I take them off the cookie sheet because they finish cooking outside of the oven. I should mention to drop them by the tablespoon.For the whole recipe: calories = 2,967/fat = 74.1/fiber = 28.1. ...so for one cookie it is about 82 cals and 2 grams of fat.

No comments: